- Office of Catholic Schools
- Catholic Diocese of Columbus
- SUBSTITUTE TEACHING APPLICATION
- COVER LETTER
Thank you for your interest in substitue teaching in the Catholic schools of the Diocese of Columbus. The Diocese operates 52 schools. While the majority of these schools are located in the Columbus metropolitan area, many are located in smaller towns and rural communities. All exist primarily to teach children to live as Christians and to be happy, productive citizens.
All applicants for substitute teacher positions in the schools of the Diocese of Columbus must complete the on-line substitute teaching application BEFORE being considered for substitute positions.
Persons who hold a bachelor’s degree in a field other than education may substitute on a short-term basis (up to five days in one class). Persons who have a valid Ohio teaching license/certificate or a valid long-term substitute teacher license may substitute on a long-term basis (up to 120 days in a school year) in the field listed on their license/certificate. Such licensed educators may also substitute up to five days in fields not listed on their certificate/license. In addition to a completed on-line substitute teaching application, the following must be received before any substitute teacher may be considered:
- $10.00 processing fee (Make check or money order payable to Diocese of Columbus)
- If you do not have a teaching license/certificate, a copy of your final college transcripts showing the name of the institution, all coursework, degree and date of degree (diplomas are not accepted)
- BCI and FBI fingerprint reports less than one year old, sent directly by the fingerprinting agency either to the Ohio Department of Education (for licensed teachers) or to Regina Quinn, Safe Environment Manager, 197 E. Gay St., Columbus, OH 43215
- verification of attendance at a VIRTUS Protecting God's Children Safe Environment program (session dates and on-line registration are available at www.virtusonline.org).
You will be notified by e-mail when all of these items have arrived and you will receive a job description, which you must sign and return before you may be added to the substitute teacher list and may begin subbing.
*It is the policy of the Diocese of Columbus not to discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, handicap, or national origin. However, in accordance with O.R.C. 109.57, the chief administrator of any chartered nonpublic school must request that the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation research and determine whether the BCI and FBI have any information which would prevent a person from teaching or substituting in the schools.
The Diocese will maintain your on-line substitute teaching application for two school years. Approved substitutes will receive an e-mail after August 1 of every school year asking if they wish to remain on the substitute teacher list for the new school year.
Thank you again for your interest in substitute teaching in the Diocese of Columbus Catholic schools. If you have any further questions about the application procedure, please contact me.
(Please CLICK HERE to complete the on-line application first.)
Diocese of Columbus
Office of Catholic Schools
197 East Gay Street
Columbus, OH 43215